How to Obtain a Business License
- Complete and submit an Application for Business License (PDF) or Apply Online.
- Businesses that intend to serve food must obtain a food permit from the Houston County Health Department. For more information about obtaining a food permit from the Houston County Health Department, call (334) 678-2815.
- If your business will be a Food Service Establishment (restaurant, daycare, school, mobile food vendor, event center, etc.), you must complete and return the Food Service Establishment Fats, Oils & Grease Inquiry Form. For more information on the City’s FOG Program requirements, call (334) 615-4454 or (334) 615-3246.
- If alcoholic beverages are intended to be served, the applicant must have the Board of Commissioners' approval. Applications are initiated with the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board to apply for the sale of alcoholic beverages. The application is then filed in the City Clerk's Office, Room 213 of the Roy Driggers Municipal Building (Civic Center), telephone (334) 615-3160.
- Building contractors, in addition to obtaining a City of Dothan Business License, must also obtain construction permits from the Building Inspection Services Division. For more information concerning building permits, call (334) 615-4450.
- Please note that in each county or municipality in Alabama in which you conduct business, you are subject to licensing requirements for each jurisdiction. To determine if a county license is required, contact Houston County at (334) 677-4786.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Business License Division:
Business License Division
P. O. Box 2128
Dothan, AL 36302
Phone: (334) 615-3166