The Online Renewal Portal for Business Licenses will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from Friday, May 7th, at 6:00 p.m. until Saturday, May 8th, at 6:00 p.m. We apologize for this inconvenience.
A business license is required for anyone conducting any type of business, trade, profession, or home occupation within the city limits of Dothan. This includes making repairs, contracting, selling, or providing any type of service within the city limits.
How do I obtain a City of Dothan business license?
Complete a Business License application and submit it to the Business License office for review. Staff will advise you of any requirements based on the business location and activity. View the Business License Flowchart (PDF) for a step-by-step guide to the licensing process.
Before applying for a business license, you should have the following information:
- Business Structure - Is the business going to be a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability corporation (LLC), corporation, or another form of business? LLCs and corporations must be registered with the Alabama Secretary of State before a license may be issued.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) - If your business is an LLC or corporation, you will have a FEIN associated with that entity. Sole proprietors may use their Social Security Number as their tax ID Number; however, they may also apply for a FEIN if they choose to. Visit the IRS website for more information on or to apply for a FEIN.
- Business Activity - What is the business going to be doing? Providing a service? Selling a product? Visit the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) website to explore business classifications.
- Location - Where is the business going to be located? Each license is address-specific. If you will be operating from a commercial location in Dothan, you’ll need to verify your business activity is allowed in that zoning district. If you plan to work from your home, and it’s located inside the city limits, there are stipulations that must be met as well. Businesses with multiple locations will require multiple business licenses. Our Business License staff will assist you with the various requirements based on your specific situation.
- Certification - Does your business activity require a certification or permit from a state agency or regulatory board? View the Alabama Department of Revenue website for a list of boards/agencies with regulatory requirements in Alabama. If required, the certification or permit must be obtained before a City of Dothan business license may be issued.
How do I renew a City of Dothan business license?
Business licenses expire on December 31st of each year. Renewal notices are mailed to currently licensed businesses in December. Licenses may be renewed through the end of January without penalty. After January 31st, a 15% penalty applies. On March 1st, the penalty increases to 30%. Interest is charged at the daily rate set by the Alabama Department of Revenue for each day delinquent.
Renewals may be returned by mail or in-person at the Business License office, located in Room 315 of the Dothan Civic Center. The office accepts cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard.
Please note that all credit card transactions are assessed an additional 1.6% convenience fee.
What if my business is closing or has already closed?
Please notify the Business License office in writing that your business has closed so the license may be inactivated. This may be done by mail or email. An additional license is required if you will be having a liquidation or going-out-of-business sale.