A permit is required on new construction, alterations, or additions and all electrical and plumbing work, as per Section 14-5, Chapter 14 of the City Ordinance. A permit is NOT required for painting or replacing floor covering regardless of valuation. Accessory structures, portable buildings, and fences require permits for placement on the property. Call the Permits and Inspections office at (334) 615-4450 to determine if a permit is required for your project.
A permit may be obtained by the property owner through owner's privilege if they are doing the work themselves; otherwise, it must be obtained by a contractor licensed to work in the City of Dothan. A licensed contractor may designate representatives to obtain permits under his/her license by completing an Affidavit which will be kept on file in the Permits and Inspections office. The affidavit must be renewed each year.
Permit fees are based on the Fee Schedule (PDF) approved by the City Commission. Payment may be made by cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard. All card transactions are assessed an additional 1.6% convenience fee.
How do I apply for a permit?
- Complete the Permit Application for the type of project you plan to do.
- Take the completed application to the Permits and Inspection office, located in Room 315 of the Roy Driggers Municipal Building (Dothan Civic Center) at 126 North Saint Andrews Street, Dothan, Alabama 36303. Permit applications are processed Monday through Friday from 7:00 am until 4:15 pm.
- A Permits and Inspection Service Technician will assist you in obtaining the permit.
The following guides are available for detailed instructions:
- How to Pass an Energy Conservation Inspection (PDF) (It is MANDATORY that all new structures meet the requirements of the State of Alabama Energy Code, which became effective October 1, 2012.)
- How to Obtain a Commercial Building Permit (PDF)
- Commercial Submittal Package (PDF)
- How to Obtain a Residential Building Permit (PDF)
- Residential Homeowner's Construction Package (PDF) (for a homeowner building a home for personal use)
- How to Obtain Commercial or Residential Utility Services (PDF)
- Manufactured Home Setup Procedures (PDF)
- Building Moving Procedures (PDF)