Procedure for Obtaining an Alcoholic Beverage License
- Make application with the local State of Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board office. Call Sarah Davis at (334) 222-3200 to make application. The ABC Board Andalusia Office handles all of the ABC Applications for the City of Dothan. Their office is located at 1801 Pioneer Drive, Andalusia, AL 36420.
- Submit the completed ABC Board application to email@example.com or deliver to the City Clerk’s office at the Dothan Civic Center. The City Clerk’s office will generate a letter of request to the City Commission for the applicant to sign.
- The City Clerk’s office will forward the license request to the Police Department, Zoning office, Building Inspector and Fire Marshal for review and approval.
- When Police and Zoning approvals are received, the City Clerk’s office will schedule the request to be heard by the City Commission at the next available meeting. The City Clerk’s office will notify the applicant of the meeting date and requirements for posting a sign notice and newspaper advertisement. The sign must be posted seven (7) days prior to the meeting and the newspaper advertisement must be published three (3) consecutive days prior to the meeting. The sign must be removed by 5:00 pm on the Wednesday following the City Commission Meeting.
- Following approval by the City Commission and receipt of all department approvals, the City Clerk’s office will process the application and forward the approval letter to the Business License office. The City Clerk’s office will notify the applicant of the City Commission approval and when the approval letter will be available in the Business License office. The City Clerk’s office will also remind the applicant to remove the sign notice.
- Report to the Business License desk on the 1st Floor of the Dothan Civic Center to pay any necessary fees and obtain the alcoholic beverage license. Once the license fee is paid, the Business License office will email the approval letter to Sarah Davis with the State of Alabama ABC Board office.
- If applicable to your type of license, liquor tax is to be paid in monthly installments on or before the 20th day of the month following the month in which the sales are made. The Business License office will provide further instructions regarding remittance of the liquor tax.