- Information Technology
Keeping Dothan Connected
The I.T. Department provides vision and guidance for all technology used by the City Government. The IT Team handles the technology support services for all City Users and Computers, Applications, telephones, GIS, as well as the network infrastructure running all throughout the city departments and the Dothan/Houston County E911 District. IT is subdivided into three divisions:
- Customer Service Division
- Applications Support Division
- Infrastructure Support Division
Customer Service Division
The Customer Service Group is responsible for the Level 1 day to day technical support for all City departments. The Customer Service Group is the face and image of Information Technology Department. They are the first responders to computer and technology problems. This division also administers the endpoint protection and has the responsibility for all IT Operations tasks. The CSG team is customer-focused and develops customer surveys and designs End-User training. They are responsible for building and maintaining a resolution knowledge base system, troubleshooting documentation and the creation of how-to documentation for our computer Users. This team also has the responsibility for managing and administering valuable internal IT Tools utilized with our proactive monitoring systems. This team also compiles and reports the statistics on overall IT Department service delivery and support metrics.
Ownership and administration of internal IT tools and software as described in the below list.
Primary Roles and Administration:
- Microsoft Enterprise-based software solutions and products
- Remote Desktop assistance and software
- IT ticketing and knowledge-base system
- PC/Microsoft Update management system
- IT Asset management
- Endpoints: Images, OS Updates, Security Client, New Deployments & Refresh cycles
- End User Mobile Devices: phones, Ipads, tablets, laptops
- New User processes, User Termination processes, Computer Object management
Responsible for customer first-contact and level 1 support for all IT Services:
- Computer Operating System
- Endpoint Application issues and software version control
- Computer or End-User Hardware issues
- Mobile Device hardware issues and inventory
- Computer peripherals: keyboard, mouse, pointers, printers, scanners, mopiers, etc.
- Managing Customer Ticket content and communication follow up
- Data Center Operations Services (IT Operator Tasks and Duties)
- Daily Print Queue management
- Employee and Vendor Check printing
- Year-end processes
- Customer User training
- Customer surveys
Applications Support Division
The Applications Support Division administers enterprise applications, both on premise and cloud based, that are critical to the operations of the City of Dothan, including public safety applications such as computer-aided dispatch and operational applications such as utilities, licensing, permitting, accounting and payroll. Moreover, the division partners with City departments to provide assistance with research, assessment, developing and planning for the efficient use of technology. Essentially the Application Support Division provides guidance in technology recommendations while implementing and administering applications that efficiently enable City departments to fulfill their functions in service to the citizens of Dothan.
Infrastructure Support Division
The Infrastructure Division is responsible for the design, administration, and maintenance of the city's Network, GIS, Server environments, Security, Disaster Recovery, and Communications. This team coordinates the fiber infrastructure as well as all fiber and copper network distribution centers throughout the city.
This includes design, development, implementation, administration, and maintenance of:
- Both physical and virtual server environments.
- LAN / WAN / Wireless infrastructure.
- Telecommunications (cellular, VOIP, and landline).
- Email systems (on premise and cloud based).
- Network programming and security (intrusion detection, content filtering, secure remote access, etc.)
- Administering the Access Control systems.
- Backup and Disaster Recovery for the City’s server platforms.
- Administration of GIS mapping systems including a myriad of map overlays (street systems, electrical systems, water systems, etc.), and supporting geographical applications.