Garbage & Trash Collection
The Environmental Services Division operates the city landfill and provides once-a-week automated garbage collection and once-a-week trash collection for all City of Dothan residents. The landfill facility operates from 7:00 am until 3:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Additionally, the Environmental Services Division provides mosquito spraying services within the City limits of Dothan from April 1st through October 1st, weather permitting.
Helpful hints for garbage and recycling collection:
- Have garbage and recycle carts out before 6:00 a.m. the morning of your collection day.
- Make sure the arrows on the cart lid is facing the road.
- Do not overfill carts (make sure cart lid is closed). If there is a need for additional garbage/recycle carts, you can purchase a cart from the Utility Collection office for a one time fee of $50.00.
Please view the following links for maps or schedules:
- 2021 Holiday Garbage Collection Schedule (PDF)
- Recycling Drop Off Points Map (PDF)
- Mosquito Treatment Zone Map (PDF)
City residents are encouraged to help the city reduce the amount of solid waste entering the landfill by participating in our recycling program. Please remember to never, ever, put sharp objects (needles, broken glass, etc.) in with your recycling. The following guidelines are essential to remember when recycling.
Bring recyclables to the designated drop off points and place them in the appropriate bins.
Acceptable items for recycling include:
- Clean aluminum cans, steel food & beverage containers (no lids)
- Corrugated boxes (wavy middle layer), tissue boxes, toilet & paper towel tubes, dry food boxes (cereal, pasta, snack, etc.), gift boxes, frozen food & microwave containers
- All plastic bottles & jars (beverage, soap detergent, ketchup, peanut butter, etc.) yogurt cups, butter tubs, etc., milk & water jugs, vitamin pill bottles, landscape pots, corrugated yard signs, storage bins & totes, laundry baskets, clean plastic paint 5-gallon pails
- Notebook paper, newspaper & inserts, magazines & catalogs, junk mail, envelops, manila folders, brown paper bags, office paper (all colors), construction paper, wrapping or kraft paper (not metallic), telephone books, paperboard egg cartons
Prohibited materials include:
- Garbage/ compost/ trash
- Shrubbery, leaves, limbs, grass, tree stumps, etc.
- Glass of any kind
- Take-out or fast food containers/ sandwich wrappers
- Carpet/ furniture/ electronics
- Wax or plastic lined cardboard
- Mold or heavily food contaminated materials
- Paper towels, tissue paper, paper cartons with wax
- Hazardous materials (paint, lacquers, chemicals, etc.)
- Oil (gasoline, motor oil, cooking oils, etc.)
- Plastic bags or film, toys
- Clothing hangers, pots, pans or bowls, aluminum foil, foil trays, pie plates, etc., spray cans
These prohibited items may be brought to one of the landfills listed under the landfill tab.
For more information about your garbage, trash, or mosquito spraying please call (334) 615-3820.